- Personal information
- Short Bio
- Work experience
- Workshops & talks
- Awards, festivals & exhibitions
- Open Source
Based in NYC, Or Fleisher is an award-winning developer, interactive creator and artist working at the intersection of technology and storytelling. His work combines computer graphics, machine learning and immersive experience development in virtual, augmented and mixed realities.
Or's career started as a sound designer and musician. After working in audio post-production he attended Tel Aviv University's film school and started coding, designing and releasing interactive storytelling driven experiences that fuse film and gaming.
Upon graduation, Or co-founded Phenomena Labs an award-winning visual effects and interaction design studio. At Phenomena Labs he worked as a creative and technical director designing, developing and publishing interactive brand and experimental experiences. Or is a graduate of the Tisch School of the Arts, and has previously worked at Vimeo and Viacom. Currently, Or is a Staff R&D Engineer at The New York Times.
Things to know about Or - an advanced coffee drinker, cat aficionado, hobbyist musician. Or is very passionate about computational photography and open source software.
New York University - M.P.S (2016-2018)
Master’s degree, Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP)
- Specializing in computer graphics, volumetric capturing and immersive experience development
- Worked under Ken Perlin’s acclaimed research group, developing machine learning driven computer graphics software, which was featured in tech magazines, such as Wired
- Worked as a creative coder under Gabe Barcia Columbo developing an interactive installation for SXSW
Tel Aviv University - B.A. (2011-2014)
Bachelor of Arts, Film and television
- Seminar research in interactive storytelling titled "The Choices we Hear" examining the use of sound in interactive narrative works.
Future Rhythm - Expert Certification (2010)
Official Avid Expert Certificates in Pro Tools (310M, 310P)
- Graduated from Future Rhythm, a certified Avid training facility earning 310M and 310P expert certificates.
- Avid’s Pro Tools™ HD expert curriculum in music production and post-production.
Staff Engineer, Research & Development - The New York Times (2021 - current)
Sr. Engineer, Research & Development - The New York Times (2019 - 2021)
Sr. Engineer, Emerging Technology - Vimeo (2019)
- Establish and implement immersive player product roadmap
- Analyze usage data using analytics tools to inform decisions and trends
- Implement and maintain spatial playback features such as WebVR into the Vimeo web player
- Research and develop internal tools and IP in machine learning and computer vision such as video classification and metadata injection, currently patent pending
Principle Creative Technologist - Vimeo (2018-2019)
- Lead development and maintainence of open-source integrations including Unity SDK, three.js, A-Frame component, RealSense Depth Viewer and Volumetric video player
- Research and implement computer vision and machine learning models
- Build experimental video playback apps such as the Vimeo on The Looking Glass, covered by major media such as TechCrunch and Forbes
VR Research Fellow - Viacom (2017)
- Designed and developed a web based Virtual Reality narrative experience currently in submission to festivals.
- Collabrated in weekly feedback sessions about look-development and technical feedback.
- Presented the project in a private Virtual Reality showcase at Viacom's NY headquarters, also covered by tech websites (e.g UploadVR).
Co-Founder - Phenomena Labs (2010-2016)
- Co-Founded an award winning visual effects and interaction design studio with Ronen Tanchum and Guy Fleisher.
- Directed, developed and published 5 Virtual Reality titles in Oculus, GearVR and WebVR app stores, featured in prestigious international festivals such as Cannes Festival, Game Developers Conference, SIGGRAPH and SXSW
- Received awards such as Design and Art Direction, Urban MediaMakers Best Interactive, Worldfest NASA Remi Award, FWA, Awwwards and CSS Design Awards
Sound Supervisor - Rishon Hall of Arts (2009-2010)
- Sound design and mixing of performances ranging from art installations and theatre to dance groups.
- Daily maintanance of gear and stock.
- Specification sheet preperations and forigen performances coordinator.
Recording Engineer - Savion Studios (2006-2008)
- Preparing, tracking, editing and pre-mixing music recording sessions.
- Overseeing and operating the rehearsal spaces.
- Recruit and train new staff members.
Workshops & talks
Brown Institute at Columbia Journalism School - The New York Times R&D (2020) - Applying Emerging Technologies In Service of Journalism at The New York Times.
The Machine Learning Center at Georgia Tech - The New York Times R&D (2020) - Applying Emerging Technologies In Service of Journalism at The New York Times.
NYC Media Lab - Guest Speaker - The New York Times R&D (2020)
Volumetric Accessibility with Vimeo - Volumetric Filmmaking Meetup (2018)
This talk (2:08:40) by Casey Pugh, head of Creator Labs at Vimeo, presents the work we have been doing in volumetric video distribution and live streaming.
Making music with social data - ITP Camp, New York University (2018) This workshop was focused on creating generative music with Twitter data (Twitter API) using Node.js, Express and Web Audio API (Tone.js)
Volume - Thesis presentation, New York University (2018) My master's thesis presentation at the Interactive Telecommunications Program, Tisch School of the Arts, NYU
Volume - HyperCinema - New York University (2018) A workshop about using Volume in Unity3D to create augmented and virtual reality experiences. The workshop took part at IMA, New York University as a part of a class called HyperCinema taught by Prof. Gabe BC
Counter Histories, Alternative Narratives - Magnum Foundation (2018) A presentation and demonstration of Volume in front of Magnum Foundation's current research residents. The presentation took place in Columbia University's Brown Institue for Media Innovation
Making music with data - NYC Media Lab (2017) This workshop was focused on creating generative music with Twitter data (Twitter API) using Node.js, Express and Web Audio API (Tone.js)
Volumetric capture using DepthKit - ITP Camp, New York University (2016) The goal of this workshop was to learn hands-on how to use DepthKit's software (with a Kinect and a DSLR) to capture a human performance as a volumetric capture and to render it in Unity.
Interactive Film (roundtable) - Anilouge Animation Festival (2015) A roundtable about current possibilities in film-making, virtual reality and interactive storytelling
Animating with MIDI - Budapest University (2015) During Anilouge Animation Festival I conducted a workshop in Budapest University's Interaction Design department about using MIDI in real-time to drive animations and visual effects in WebGL.
- Spoken Languages: English, Hebrew.
- Team player who strives for a collabrative work atmosphere.
- Strong networking affinity, with great personal and social skills.
- High tenure under deadlines, with an ability to multitask and simplify problems, finding creative and technical solutions in variegated situations.
- Ability to communicate simple and complex issues in a clear and concice way.
- Graphics programmer experienced with WebGL, 2D Canvas, OpenGL and advanced shader programming (GLSL, HLSL).
- Extensive knowledge in Virtual and Augmented Reality content development (WebVR, WebAR, ARKit, Unity for Rift, Vive and GearVR).
- Graphics Libraries: Three.js, openFrameworks, GLEW, GLFW, JUCE
- Software: Unity, TouchDesigner, Nuke, Avid MC, Adobe Creative Cloud, Blender, Octane Renderer, Vue, Pro-Tools, Ableton Live, Max/MSP/Jitter.
- Further knowledge in Depth sensing and 3D scanning, Frontend development, Node.js, Express.js, Websockets, Arduino programming, Raspberry Pi programming, Machine learning (tensorflow, CoreML), PCB design, electronics.
- New York University ITP (2019) - Master's thesis reviewer
- MIT Media Lab VR Hackathon (2019) - Software development mentor
- ITP xStory: p5.shader (2018) - Mentor \ Github
- Design Academy Eindhoven (2018) - Interactive media mentor
- NEW INC (2018) - Immersive track mentor
- ITP xStory: Experiments in Storytelling - Co-founder and contributer
- Shenkar College of Engineering and Design (2017) - Interactive media mentor
- Anilouge (2015) - Animated features jury
- SND - Silver Medal Information graphics — Health/Coronavirus - 3-D Simulation
- SND - Silver Medal Line of Coverage: Coronavirus - Masks Work, 3-D Simulation
- WorldFest- NASA Remi Award winner - Livyatanim: MYTH
- UrbamMediaMakers Best Interactive Award - Livyatanim: MYTH
- FWA - Website of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- CSS Winner - Site of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- CSS Awards - Website of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Awwwards – Honorable Mention - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Communication Arts - Webpicks - Livyatanim: MYTH
- CSS Design Awards - Special Kodus - Livyatanim: MYTH
- DesignAwards.Asia - Design of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Awwwards – Honorable Mention - Tzina
- CSS Design Awards - Special Kodus - Tzina
- CSS Winner - Tzina
- CSS Awards - Site of the Day - 1948
- Awwwards - Honorable Mention - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Audience Award for Best Innovation - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Audience Award for UI Design - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Audience Award for Best UX Design - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Special Kodus - 1948
- Tisch School of the Arts scholarship
- Red Burns scholarship
- Viacom NEXT VR research fellowship
- ITP & Google XStory rersearch grant
- SXSW 2020 - Get Ready for the Volumetric Revolution - The New York Times
- Sundance 2019 - New Frontier - Vimeo
- SIGGRAPH 2018 - Posters - Volume
- Cannes Festival - NEXT - Tzina
- IDFA DocLab - Tzina
- ACM SIGGRAPH - Immersive Expressions - Tzina
- Seattle Transmedia - Tzina
- DocAviv - Tzina
- Toronto WebFest - Tzina
- Paris Play Online - Tzina
- International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling - Tzina
- Experience, Brussels VR Film Festival - Tzina
- SXSW - The Future of Music Artwork is Gamified - Livyatanim: MYTH
- GDC - Mozilla VR booth - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Seattle Transmedia - Livyatanim: MYTH
- LA New Media Film Festival - Livyatanim: MYTH
- File Festival - LIVYATANIM: MYTH
- NuWave - BJFF - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Patchlab - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Miami FILMGATE - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Amsterdam KLIK - Livyatanim: MYTH
- TimeWave Festival - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Google I/O - Livyatanim: SONO
- Uncanny - Design Museum Holon, 2018
Developed an openFrameworks MIDI controlled music installation toolstools.tools with Tal Baltuch
- Liminal Instruments - Whitebox Gallery, NYC, 2018
Presented Sound Objects, a virtual reality music composition application developed in collabration with Scott Reitherman - Eventribe
- Wired - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- Engadget - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- TechCrunch - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- No Film School - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- Forbes - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- Digital Trends - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- VRRoom - Vimeo through the Looking Glass
- Mashable - Vimeo volumetric livestreaming
- PCMA - Is Telepresence Coming to a Screen Near You?
- The Next Web - Volume.gl website
- prosthetic knowledge - Volume.gl website
- Tecmundo - Volume.gl website
- prosthetic knowledge - 1948
- The Next Web - Expert Opinion
- The Next Web - Skeletron
- TechRadar - Skeletron
- Anrdoid Headlines - Skeletron
- Geektime - Skeletron
- Discovery Channel - Daily Planet - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- The Next Web - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Vice Motherboard - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Mashable - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Vice - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- UploadVR - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- prosthetic knowledge - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- VRFocus - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Android Headlines - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- India Times - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- BestVR - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Wired - Death Mask
- UploadVR - Death Mask
- Next Reality - Death Mask
- prosthetic knowledge - TwitAR
- Next Reality - TwitAR
- Wired - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Creators Project - Livyatanim: MYTH
- We and the Color - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Z by Ultranoir - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Creators Project - Livyatanim: SONO
- VRRoom.buzz - Livyatanim: SONO
- Creators Project - Tzina
- Ha'aretz - Tzina
- Calcalist - Tzina
- prosthetic knowledge - Tzina
- Channel 1 - Tzina
- Ynet - Pnai Plus - Interview about interactive filmmaking
- Future News - The New York Times' early AI explorations
- Dot And Line - Judging at Anilouge 2015
- AudioKit Pro - detune
- Video format classification and metadata injection using machine learning - Patent Pending
- Rendered Newsletter
- Volumetric Cinematography in the Age of Learning Machines - UnMediated Issue 2, Journal of Politics and Communication
- Almost Human: Goodbye Uncanny Valley - Immerse
- Almost Human: Goodbye Uncanny Valley - VRRRoom
- Death of The Hologram & The Life That Comes Next - NYU ITP Adjecent
- Trend report: Interactive Storytelling - Vimeo Blog
- How Vimeo can power live streaming holograms - Vimeo Blog / Medium
- Volume: 3D reconstruction of history for immersive platforms
- Behind The Scenes of the Worlds Best XR Designers
- Meet Or Fleisher, A Celebrated WebVR Designer
- Code that turns into art: What is creative coding?
- Value precption in immersive art
- UXPin - Web Design Book of Trends for 2017 (Page 63)
- librealsense - Contributed a threaded depth cleaner project to the community examples section
- librealsense - Contributed a depth viewer project to the community examples section
- three.js - A 6DoF panorama example using 360 images and depth maps
- three.js - An interactive depth displacement effect for images using depth maps
- The New York Times - Blender in Docker - A collection of Docker containers for running Blender headless or distributed
- Vimeo - Unity SDK - Easily stream your Vimeo videos into Unity or record and publish out to Vimeo.
- Vimeo - Depth Viewer - An OpenGL depth viewer and cleaner with a fully modular GUI
- Vimeo - Depth Player - A WebGL volumetric video renderer for video hosted on Vimeo
- Vimeo - AFrame Component - Stream Vimeo videos into WebVR.
- Vimeo three.js player - A plugin for streaming video from Vimeo to WebGL/VR/AR apps.
- DepthKit.js - A plugin for rendering DepthKit volumteric video using Three.js in WebGL.
- DepthKit for A-Frame - An A-Frame component for rendering DepthKit volumetric videos in WebVR. The A-Frame component wraps DepthKit.js which is a small library that provides the same functionality for Three.js projects.
- ReTouch - ReTouch is an OpenGL application that enables editing and retouching of images using depth-maps in 2.5D.
- Inside Pulp Fiction - An experiment using Volume to reconstruct Pulp Fiction's dance scene in Augmented Reality.
- THREE.Kinectron - A Three.js plugin for rendering Kinectron feeds.
- THREE.Webpack - A Three.js + glslify + webpack boilerplate for quick prototyping
- THREE.Multiplayer - My boilerplate Node.js server and client setup for Three.js multiplayer projects using Socket.io.
- Awesome Volumetric Filmmaking - A curated resource for all things pertaining to volumetric filmmaking.
- Threaded Depth Cleaner - Threaded depth-map cleaning and inpainting using OpenCV.
- Image Extraction from EXIF Metadata - Jupyter notebooks showing how to extract images from EXIF metadata
- libav RTMP Streaming - A C++ app that streams a video to an RTMP endpoint using libav
- now - A slim FFMPEG wrapper to easily transcode videos to multiple resolutions using Nvidia GPUs
- THREE.SixDOF - Plugin for rendering 6DOF equirectangular 360 images and videos with depthmaps
- TS Library Starter - Boilerplate Typescript library template