- Personal information
- Short Bio
- Work experience
- Workshops & talks
- Awards, festivals & exhibitions
- Open Source
Name: Or Fleisher
Based in NYC, I am a director, developer, artist working at the intersection of technology and storytelling. My interests include computer graphics, web development and immersive experience development in virtual, augmented and mixed realities.
I started my career as a sound designer and musician. After working in audio post-production for a few years I attended Tel Aviv University film school and started coding, designing and releasing interactive storytelling driven experiences.
Upon graduation, I co-founded Phenomena Labs an award-winning visual effect and interaction design studio. I worked as a creative and technical director designing, developing and executing interactive experiences. I am a graduate of the Tisch School of the Arts, New York University. Currently, I am the Principle Creative Technologist at Vimeo Labs and Co-Founder at Volume.
Things to know about me - I am an advanced coffee drinker, cat aficionado, hobbyist musician. I am passionate about cinematography and open source software.
New York University - M.P.S (2016-2018)
Master’s degree, Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP)
- Specializing in computer graphics, volumetric capturing and immersive experience development
- Worked under Ken Perlin’s acclaimed research group, developing machine learning driven computer graphics software, which was featured in tech magazines, such as Wired
- Worked as a creative coder under Gabe Barcia Columbo developing an interactive installation for SXSW
Tel Aviv University - B.A. (2011-2014)
Bachelor of Arts, Film and television
- Seminar research in interactive storytelling titled "The Choices we Hear" examining the use of sound in interactive narrative works.
Future Rhythm - Expert Certification (2010)
Official Avid Expert Certificates in Pro Tools (310M, 310P)
- Graduated from Future Rhythm, a certified Avid training facility earning 310M and 310P expert certificates.
- Avid’s Pro Tools™ HD expert curriculum in music production and post-production.
Principle Creative Technologist - Vimeo (2018-Current)
VR Research Fellow - Viacom (2017)
- Designed and developed a web based Virtual Reality narrative experience currently in submission to festivals.
- Collabrated in weekly feedback sessions about look-development and technical feedback.
- Presented the project in a private Virtual Reality showcase at Viacom's NY headquarters, also covered by tech websites (e.g UploadVR).
Co-Founder - Phenomena Labs (2010-2016)
- Co-Founded an award winning visual effects and interaction design studio with Ronen Tanchum and Guy Fleisher.
- Directed, developed and published 5 Virtual Reality titles in Oculus, GearVR and WebVR app stores, featured in prestigious international festivals such as Cannes Festival, Game Developers Conference, SIGGRAPH and SXSW
- Received awards such as Design and Art Direction, Urban MediaMakers Best Interactive, Worldfest NASA Remi Award, FWA, Awwwards and CSS Design Awards
Sound Supervisor - Rishon Hall of Arts (2009-2010)
- Sound design and mixing of performances ranging from art installations and theatre to dance groups.
- Daily maintanance of gear and stock.
- Specification sheet preperations and forigen performances coordinator.
Recording Engineer - Savion Studios (2006-2008)
- Preparing, tracking, editing and pre-mixing music recording sessions.
- Overseeing and operating the rehearsal spaces.
- Recruit and train new staff members.
Workshops & talks
Volumetric Accessibility with Vimeo - Volumetric Filmmaking Meetup (2018)
This talk (2:08:40) by Casey Pugh, head of Creator Labs at Vimeo, presents the work we have been doing in volumetric video distribution and live streaming.
Making music with social data - ITP Camp, New York University (2018) This workshop was focused on creating generative music with Twitter data (Twitter API) using Node.js, Express and Web Audio API (Tone.js)
Volume - Thesis presentation, New York University (2018) My master's thesis presentation at the Interactive Telecommunications Program, Tisch School of the Arts, NYU
Volume - HyperCinema - New York University (2018) A workshop about using Volume in Unity3D to create augmented and virtual reality experiences. The workshop took part at IMA, New York University as a part of a class called HyperCinema taught by Prof. Gabe BC
Counter Histories, Alternative Narratives - Magnum Foundation (2018) A presentation and demonstration of Volume in front of Magnum Foundation's current research residents. The presentation took place in Columbia University's Brown Institue for Media Innovation
Making music with data - NYC Media Lab (2017) This workshop was focused on creating generative music with Twitter data (Twitter API) using Node.js, Express and Web Audio API (Tone.js)
Volumetric capture using DepthKit - ITP Camp, New York University (2016) The goal of this workshop was to learn hands-on how to use DepthKit's software (with a Kinect and a DSLR) to capture a human performance as a volumetric capture and to render it in Unity.
Interactive Film (roundtable) - Anilouge Animation Festival (2015) A roundtable about current possibilities in film-making, virtual reality and interactive storytelling
Animating with MIDI - Budapest University (2015) During Anilouge Animation Festival I conducted a workshop in Budapest University's Interaction Design department about using MIDI in real-time to drive animations and visual effects in WebGL.
- Spoken Languages: English, Hebrew.
- Team player who strives for a collabrative work atmosphere.
- Strong networking affinity, with great personal and social skills.
- High tenure under deadlines, with an ability to multitask and simplify problems, finding creative and technical solutions in variegated situations.
- Ability to communicate simple and complex issues in a clear and concice way.
- Graphics programmer experienced with WebGL, 2D Canvas, OpenGL and advanced shader programming (GLSL, HLSL).
- Extensive knowledge in Virtual and Augmented Reality content development (WebVR, WebAR, ARKit, Unity for Rift, Vive and GearVR).
- Graphics Libraries: Three.js, openFrameworks, GLEW, GLFW, JUCE
- Software: Unity, TouchDesigner, Nuke, Avid MC, Adobe Creative Cloud, Blender, Octane Renderer, Vue, Pro-Tools, Ableton Live, Max/MSP/Jitter.
- Further knowledge in Depth sensing and 3D scanning, Frontend development, Node.js, Express.js, Websockets, Arduino programming, Raspberry Pi programming, Machine learning (tensorflow, CoreML), PCB design, electronics.
- WorldFest- NASA Remi Award winner - Livyatanim: MYTH
- UrbamMediaMakers Best Interactive Award - Livyatanim: MYTH
- FWA - Website of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- CSS Winner - Site of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- CSS Awards - Website of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Awwwards – Honorable Mention - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Communication Arts - Webpicks - Livyatanim: MYTH
- CSS Design Awards - Special Kodus - Livyatanim: MYTH
- DesignAwards.Asia - Design of the Day - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Awwwards – Honorable Mention - Tzina
- CSS Design Awards - Special Kodus - Tzina
- CSS Winner - Tzina
- CSS Awards - Site of the Day - 1948
- Awwwards - Honorable Mention - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Audience Award for Best Innovation - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Audience Award for UI Design - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Audience Award for Best UX Design - 1948
- CSS Design Awards - Special Kodus - 1948
- Tisch School of the Arts scholarship
- Red Burns scholarship
- Viacom NEXT VR research fellowship
- ITP & Google XStory rersearch grant
- SIGGRAPH 2018 - Posters - Volume
- Cannes Festival - NEXT - Tzina
- IDFA DocLab - Tzina
- ACM SIGGRAPH - Immersive Expressions - Tzina
- Seattle Transmedia - Tzina
- DocAviv - Tzina
- Toronto WebFest - Tzina
- Paris Play Online - Tzina
- Experience, Brussels VR Film Festival - Tzina
- SXSW - The Future of Music Artwork is Gamified - Livyatanim: MYTH
- GDC - Mozilla VR booth - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Seattle Transmedia - Livyatanim: MYTH
- LA New Media Film Festival - Livyatanim: MYTH
- File Festival - LIVYATANIM: MYTH
- NuWave - BJFF - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Patchlab - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Miami FILMGATE - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Amsterdam KLIK - Livyatanim: MYTH
- TimeWave Festival - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Google I/O - Livyatanim: SONO
- Uncanny - Design Museum Holon, 2018
Developed an openFrameworks MIDI controlled music installation toolstools.tools with Tal Baltuch
- Liminal Instruments - Whitebox Gallery, NYC, 2018
Presented Sound Objects, a virtual reality music composition application developed in collabration with Scott Reitherman - Eventribe
- The Next Web - Volume.gl website
- prosthetic knowledge - Volume.gl website
- Tecmundo - Volume.gl website
- prosthetic knowledge - 1948
- The Next Web - Expert Opinion
- The Next Web - Skeletron
- TechRadar - Skeletron
- Anrdoid Headlines - Skeletron
- Geektime - Skeletron
- Discovery Channel - Daily Planet - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- The Next Web - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Vice Motherboard - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Mashable - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Vice - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- UploadVR - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- prosthetic knowledge - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- VRFocus - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Android Headlines - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- India Times - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- BestVR - Volume: Inside Pulp Fiction
- Wired - Death Mask
- UploadVR - Death Mask
- Next Reality - Death Mask
- prosthetic knowledge - TwitAR
- Next Reality - TwitAR
- Wired - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Creators Project - Livyatanim: MYTH
- We and the Color - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Z by Ultranoir - Livyatanim: MYTH
- Creators Project - Livyatanim: SONO
- VRRoom.buzz - Livyatanim: SONO
- Creators Project - Tzina
- Ha'aretz - Tzina
- Calcalist - Tzina
- prosthetic knowledge - Tzina
- Channel 1 - Tzina
- Dot And Line - Judging at Anilouge 2015
- AudioKit Pro - detune
- Volume: 3D reconstruction of history for immersive platforms
- Behind The Scenes of the Worlds Best XR Designers
- Meet Or Fleisher, A Celebrated WebVR Designer
- Code that turns into art: What is creative coding?
- Value precption in immersive art
- UXPin - Web Design Book of Trends for 2017 (Page 63)
three.js - An interactive depth displacement effect for images using depth maps
Vimeo - Depth Viewer - An OpenGL depth viewer and cleaner with a fully modular GUI
Vimeo - Depth Player - A WebGL volumetric video renderer for video hosted on Vimeo
DepthKit.js - A plugin for rendering DepthKit volumteric video using Three.js in WebGL.
DepthKit for A-Frame - An A-Frame component for rendering DepthKit volumetric videos in WebVR. The A-Frame component wraps DepthKit.js which is a small library that provides the same functionality for Three.js projects.
ReTouch - ReTouch is an OpenGL application that enables editing and retouching of images using depth-maps in 2.5D.
Inside Pulp Fiction - An experiment using Volume to reconstruct Pulp Fiction's dance scene in Augmented Reality.
THREE.Kinectron - A Three.js plugin for rendering Kinectron feeds.
THREE.Multiplayer - My boilerplate Node.js server and client setup for Three.js multiplayer projects using Socket.io.
Awesome Volumetric Filmmaking - A curated resource for all things pertaining to volumetric filmmaking.
Threaded Depth Cleaner - Threaded depth-map cleaning and inpainting using OpenCV.